The Peace Table
Box Out Bullying is a leader in giving students the tools to peacefully resolve conflicts on their own, leading to long-term and sustainable results.
Peace Tables are designated spaces in the classroom environment where children can go to take a moment, calm themselves, and work out conflicts in a peaceful way.
At Box Out Bullying, we seek to empower educators and students to recognize the difference between bullying and conflict. Conflicts , every day disagreements or misunderstandings, are a natural part of the human experience. Finding a consistent and peaceful way to resolve conflicts can be a daunting task for educators. This is where the Peace Table comes in.
Peace Tables encourage conflict resolution through peaceful and respectful communication.
Some benefits of the Peace Table:
– It encourages children to be open and express what’s on their mind.
– It gives students a routine: a specific place and method to achieve an agreeable solution.
– It is quick and simple to set up.
– It saves time and energy for both students and educators, creating a lasting and sustainable solution.
In a peaceful or calm part of the classroom, set up your Peace Table with the following tools. Refer to this Check List.
– A flat surface
– Two chairs
– A colorful, inviting table covering
– An object of peace
– A peace lily
– 3-minute sand timer
Students will be develop essential critical thinking and problem solving skills. With empathy and caring, students will be able to demonstrate successful Peace Table meetings by:
– Inviting a fellow student to resolve an issue
– Using “I-Statements” when discussing feelings and experiences
– Actively listening to each other without interrupting